How to Choose The Right Antivirus Software
There are various factors that come into play when choosing your ideal antivirus software. Although it can be a hefty investment, it’s worth every penny when your data, digital identity and finances are at stake. Choosing the right software will depend on your individual or business needs, although there are a few key areas that should be prevalent in all good antivirus softwares.
Here are the key features you should look for before purchasing an antivirus software:
- Automatic updates. A good software should have automatic updates so it’s consistently able to block new malware and viruses. In a nutshell, the software works to scan viruses and blocks them before you open a file. The updates should be frequent in order for the software to block any new viruses or malware immediately upon detection.
- Firewall. A firewall feature can monitor inbound and outbound network traffic and help block unauthorized access to your devices. This is a great way to safeguard private information and financial data.
- Protection for multiple apps. Threats are prominent across all apps and services that you rely on for your everyday tasks. From instant messenger platforms to internet browsers, harmful software can creep in from a number of different sources. Antivirus programs need to protect multiple vulnerable apps from potential dangers, otherwise you’re leaving your hardware dangerously exposed.
- Fights against all types of malware. Between trojans, bots, spyware, viruses, and more, there are many different types of malware that can harm your computer. Unfortunately, some antivirus programs are designed only to target a specific type of software. It’s better to go with a program that can comprehensively detect all types of malware.
- Threat identification. Great antivirus softwares has the ability to recognize potential threats that aren’t in its virus definition database. And when that happens, it can send a copy of the potential threat to its manufacturer for identification. This can help speed up the process of new viruses being officially identified and added to virus definition files.
In addition to these features, ask yourself these questions before purchasing:
- What are my needs? How can I benefit from this software? For example if you have more than one device, you’ll want security software that covers them all.
- Is the customer service top notch? How is the company’s customer support and how do they help protect me in real time? This is important because cyberthreats can happen at any time.
- What added features are available? Do you need specific features like data backup and parental controls?
- How does it compare with free antivirus? What are the differences between free and paid antivirus protection?
Have other questions about cyber security? Does your small business need help preventing cyber security attacks? Thinline Technologies has you covered! Our cyber security network specialists can address active threats to your organization and prevent future hackers from threatening your business and information. Contact us online or give us a call at (410) 453-9300.