The Importance of Cybersecurity for Small Businesses
It makes sense that a small business is less likely to experience a cybersecurity breach, right? Wrong. Just because your business is smaller doesn’t mean it goes undetected by hackers. In fact, the opposite is true. Here is more on the Importance of implementing a cybersecurity solution for small businesses!
Why Small Businesses?
It may be surprising to find out that hackers target small businesses more than any other type. This is because small businesses typically don’t prioritize cybersecurity, as it can be a costly expense. A lot of small businesses also underestimate the risk of an attack because they don’t think they have much worth stealing.
However, the U.S National Cybersecurity Alliance reporter that 60% of small businesses fail within six months due to a Cybersecurity attack. Small businesses tend to have more digital assets with less security than larger businesses, making them a great target for hackers.
Common Cybersecurity Attacks
When hackers attempt to breach security, they are looking to gain access to a company’s sensitive and secure information. The best way to prepare for a Cybersecurity attack is to understand the different methods hackers use to get into a network.
Here are some of the most common Cybersecurity attacks to be aware of:
- Advanced Persistent Threats (APT): APT’s are targeted attacks that are planned out over a long span of time. Hackers breach security in different phases, giving them a better chance at avoiding detection. Once they gain access, even if a threat is detected, the hacker has likely already found other routes into your system.
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS): A hacker will purposely overload a network with various access requests until it completely shuts down the target’s network.
- Phishing: One of the most frequent hacking methods, phishing attacks collect sensitive information through a fake website that appears to be legitimate. Often times, links to these websites are sent through emails that encourage the user to click on the link.
- Ransomware: This occurs when hackers demand some type of ransom in order for you to keep your personal information. Hackers will either lock you out of your computer or threaten to expose information if you don’t give them the amount of money they requested. Ransomware is one the fastest growing methods of hacking.
How to Improve Security
As a small business, you may not have the means to invest in a complex Cybersecurity system. However, there are several inexpensive ways to improve your small business cybersecurity.
- Password Security: An easy way to avoid security breaches is to change network passwords often and ensure they aren’t easy to guess. You can also implement a two-step password authentication process to further enhance security.
- Data Backup Plan: It’s a good idea to invest in a back up plan in case your network security is breached. This plan helps to ensure that if your business does lose data, that data can be recovered.
- Antivirus Software: Installing antivirus software is one of the most common methods to protect your software. Updated software will detect threats before they become a bigger problem and keep hackers out of your system.
Contact Thinline Technologies Today for Your IT Needs!
Thinline Technologies makes it our business to provide the most effective IT solutions for clients of all sizes! We offer full service IT solutions that allow you to focus on other aspects of your business needs while we focus on the technology that runs it.
At Thinline technologies, we take the time to understand your specific IT needs, train your staff on new technologies, and manage problems before they can even impact your business. For more information, visit our website https://www.thinlinetech.com or give us a call at (410)-453-9300.